Built by William Simpson and James Carle in 1898 the Glen Elgin distillery is located near Elgin. Whisky production followed two years later in 1900. Unfortunately the recession in the whisky industry began shortly after this which meant that it was the last distillery built on Speyside for sixty years.
Being close to the Glen Burn and Longmorn station was an ideal choice for location. Glen Elgin produces single malts, but it is also the heart of Bell’s Extra Special Blend and White Horse blends. Bottles of Glen Elgin have a house martin bird on them because several pairs of the birds raise their young under the eaves of the building.