Glenugie (originally Invernettie) was built in Peterhead in 1831, becoming Scotland's most easterly located distillery. It closed after three years and it was converted to a brewery in 1837. Moving on to 1875 it was sold again and was converted back to Whisky production and renamed Glenugie.
Glenugie acquired new owners in 1884 and this was where its reputation for high quality Malt Whisky began. It remained open right until its final demise in 1983 as a result of the so-called "Whisky Loch". The brand is owned by Pernod Ricard who released bottlings in 2010 under the Deoch an Doras label and as part of the Chivas Brothers Cask Strength series. Some casks were secured by independent bottlers, but it is rarely seen today.